Thursday, May 13, 2010

The power of a map!


For the last few weeks, I've been pouring over this map. Each placemark represents a family at Grace Chapel - can you find yourself? What I've found so intriguing about the map, is that I've known so many of these folks for years. We've shared conversations in the Lobby, met together in my office for counseling, worked on teams of various sorts, bumped into each other in Kidstown while dropping off our children on Sunday. But for most of these people, I have never known where they live - I mean exaclty where they live. For many, I have known what town they live in - but something changes when you see someone's house from an aerial view on Google Maps!

And so, for the past few weeks, I found myself thinking differently about each of you as I imagine you in your 'natural habitat'. Engaging with neighbors - bringing your kids to school in your town - driving out of your driveway every morning - eating dinner round your dinner tables at night - mowing your lawns in the evenings. (now don't worry, the sattelite image wasn't that good)

But what excites me most about this map is how it has enabled me to pray for the towns around us and for you with a greater insight and understanding. I'm praying that God will do a work among us and place on our hearts a collective desire to add more markers to our map as people join us in becoming followers of Jesus, for the sake of Christ, His kingdom, and the towns we live in!!

By the way - the green markers? They indicate people who have expressed an interest in joining the Reading Area campus!

Those that are green with a dot? These are folks who have told Richard or me that they are already committed to joining us at the new campus!!

Please continue to pray for the work that God has begun, and continue to pray for each family and person represented by the markers on the map!

Tom

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom - Thanks for your leadership. Also, thanks for the map. It is very exciting to see just how many GC families live in the area and to already see so many green markers. I will keep praying that God will guide more families to become "green" and then make the move to the "dot". :) May He continue to move!

    For Him,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete